For biceps exercises, a 16 and 32 kg kettlebell can suffice. Modern manufacturers of sports equipment offer whole lines of kettlebells from 8 kg and even less, so that everyone can choose the equipment for themselves, depending on their physical condition.
Features of training biceps with kettlebells
The unique shape of the kettlebell – in the form of a “barrel” with a wide handle – can provide a different grip, adjusting the level of load on certain muscles and shoulder beams.
- You can hold the kettlebell in an unusual way – by the round part with two palms on the sides, this will provide a load on the short head of the biceps from the shoulder.
- And holding the weight with both hands by the handle of the projectile upside down (in an inverted position) – the brachial works more. In addition to the biceps, when lifting kettlebells with two hands, the upper parts of the pectoral muscle are connected.
Unlike dumbbells, the kettlebell grip that builds biceps isn’t as comfortable, but it builds more fiber and makes the workout more functional. Kettlebells can replace dumbbells at home or supplement arm workouts, especially in cases where bicep growth has stalled.
Two-handed biceps weightlifting technique
- It is practiced standing, knees slightly bent, keeping the palms of the hands on the sides of the handle of the kettlebell.
- The hands begin to move from below the hips. You can also flip the kettlebell by holding the handles on the sides from below, this technique will activate the brachialis.
- Exhale: without leaning back, keeping the elbows stationary, we bend the arms, bringing the weight back to the chest. In addition to the biceps, feel the work of the upper chest.
- Inhale: without falling, slowly lower the kettlebell, keeping your elbows bent to avoid ligament injury.
In this variation, hold the kettlebell not by the handle, but by the sides of the widest part. The grip should be strong, so do not take too much weight, the main thing is not to miss the kettlebell.
- Standing, hold a kettlebell with both hands.
- Exhale: Bend your elbows completely towards your chest without rocking your torso.
- Inhale: Gently straighten your arms, keeping your elbows slightly bent.
In case both options with a kettlebell weight of 16 kg are light, perform a superset: first lift the kettlebell 12 times with a grip on the handle (option №1), then immediately perform the option no. №2 also 12 times. Rest 1 to 2 minutes between sets.
Kettlebell lifting with one arm while standing
If you have two identical weights, you can carry alternately. In this version, remember to raise with one hand.
- Standing, hold the kettlebell by the handle with a supine grip with one hand. For fixation, you can rest your elbow on the side of the body, tilting the body slightly forward.
- Exhale: lean towards the shoulder without twisting the brush at the top.
- Inhale: slowly descend.
- Repeat on the other arm for 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps each.
Lift kettlebells for biceps while seating
The exercise technique is performed with isolation of the biceps. When doing one-handed lifts, choose a light weight. The technique is more suitable for advanced athletes.
- Sitting with your feet apart, take a weight of 8 to 16 kg with one hand in an underhand grip, rest your elbow on the inside of your thigh.
- Exhale: using your biceps, flex your arm as much as possible, bringing the kettlebell back to your shoulder.
- Inhale: Without fully extending your elbow, lower the kettlebell.
For each arm you need 8-12 reps of 3-4 sets.
Recommendations: how to pump up the biceps with a kettlebell
When pumping biceps with kettlebells, consider the weight of the load:
- if there is a weight of 16 kg, you can perform exercises with one hand;
- with a kettlebell weight of 32 kg, keep in mind that this is a heavy load for small muscles, so choose exercise options that are performed with both hands at the same time.
Kettlebell training requires a good warm-up to avoid injury, first warm up your muscles and joints for at least 7 minutes. It is also important to stretch your muscles, this allows them to grow and recover faster, while remaining elastic.